Monday, March 26, 2007

The Courtesean and the Anadonis

Let me begin by saying that I have nothing against The Courtesean. I liked Nicole Kidman's role in Mulin Rouge; I read and enjoyed Memoirs of a Geisha; and I love the mystery of Maralyn Munroe (aka Norma Jean). But I despise Anna Nicole smith and think her undeserving of the title courtesean. I would call her, much more vulgarly, a gold digging whore. Despite her title as Playmate of the Year, she was a stripper, who married for money and did nothing with herself when her husband died. She was on drugs, she was a joke. She was a joke until her death made her a victim. And this is what I hate, that people are trying to make her death tragic. I even heard from some media source or other that she died of an "accidental drug overdose."
Now, this is just me, but I can't see the tragedy in this. It's almost a relief: she was finally put out of her drunken/drugged out embearassment of a life.
I think of a courtesean as a woman who had no other options and capitalized on her value as a woman. The tragedy of the courtesean is that she never gains her freedom and cannot live her own life. Anna Nicole wasted her freedom and her life.
Elvis died of a drug overdose on the toilette: a true Adonis. No one thinks the less of him. He is The King.
Conclusion: even I play into the double standard that has been set. Elvis died on the crapper as a hero; Anna Nicole over dosed and I find it a release. (Steiner rears his ugly head once again to point out the conflict of Man vs Woman).

No comments: