Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Soul Mates

I have a personal reason for identifying with the Symposium story of soul-mates. The story goes that in the begginning, people were attatched to eachother. Really, though, we only think of them as attatched. They were whole. There were men, women, and androgynous beings. But the gods couldn't handle the humans so they were split down the middle and sewed up. The belly-button is where they were attatched. Now we are all looking for our other half, male or female depending upon who we used to be.
I like this story because ever since I was young I have played with my belly-button. I pet it, and find it soothing. I used to, and still do, do this when my tummy hurts. My boy friend thinks it's weird. I don't blame him.
But this is why I like the story.

No comments: